Thursday 31 December 2015

Star Wars 2020

Well, I've been itching to run a game in the Star Wars universe, but I don't have any Star Wars RPG products and I can't be arsed with learning an all new system anyway. What shall I do?

You may recall the "All Zombies on the Eastern Front: Polish Resistance" game I ran a few years back. It was Cyberpunk 2020 hacked for a WWII setting. And what is Star Wars if not "Nazis in Space". So Cyberpunk 2020 seems to me like a good fit for running a Star Wars game. Especially with Luke's new cyberhand--you know what I'm talking about! It doesn't get more cyberpunk than that!

That said, I have my work cut out for me:

1. Modify the character generator for Star Wars.


I hacked together a little character generator for Polish Resistance. With a little work, we can make build Star Wars PCs.
  1. Add a force stat
  2. Change the skills list
  3. Change the equipment list
  4. Add different species of characters
  5. Update the character sheet

2. Build a Setting


sample map
Star wars makes this easy due to the huge amount of world-building others have done before me. That said, I need to pick some small piece of the Star Wars Universe to focus on and then apply Border Princes methodology to it.
  1. Map it
  2. Detail some adventure locales
  3. Determine who are the movers and shakers in this place and the politics between them
I'm currently thinking Airam Sector, 30 years after the battle of Endor i.e. right after the events of the latest film. I figure, after the fall of the Empire, Pirates and Rebels no longer needed to hide in such an out-of-the-way system, so the place went through a bit of a decline. The PCs start as scavengers or slaves under some minor Hutt-type character. The adventure begins when they stumble over on a choice piece of salvage, a working starship--their ticket off this rock!

3. Space Rules


While Cyberpunk 2020 is a very general-purpose system, we still need some starship rules. Fortunately, there's a huge amount of material to help us with these:
So I just need to collect the rules we'll be using in one place for easy reference...

4. Stat Things Up


Finally, I need to stat-up a whole bunch a equipment, ships, and creatures for use in the sandbox. Again, Wookiepedia should be quite helpful here.

So that's the plan. Hopefully, a week from now, we'll be ready to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment